Carpet stains can be a real nuisance, but with the right approach and cleaning solutions, you can easily get rid of them. Common household items, such as baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and white vinegar, are safe, natural remedies that work well for small stains. For the toughest stains, you'll need carpet stain removers that do the job without damaging the carpet. To make a powerful oxidizing compound that can break down old stains of various types relatively easily, mix about half a cup of baking soda and vinegar in about a gallon of water.
Before you give up and start pricing a new rug, here are some field-tested tips to help you get rid of stubborn carpet stains:
- Identify the type of carpet material you have.
- Mix a cup of white vinegar with a cup of water and a few drops of dish soap in a spray bottle.
- Sprinkle a layer of dry baking soda on the stain.
- For special, tougher, water-soluble stains, use hydrogen peroxide.
- For smaller stains, use any of these cleaning solutions without mixing them.
- If you can't remove a particular stain from your carpet, contact a professional carpet cleaning company for help.